Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Dateline Dateland: Westward Ho!



We have finally left Phoenix behind, with a few clear clues our last day that we were not to even consider staying there. I will not share them here.

Our neighbors Nick and Ty helped Rick pack everything up.  After Nick went to work at noon, Ty and Crystal wished us off and we left the X Bar B Trailer Ranch around 2.

I was nervous and anxious as usual when setting out, but in a couple of hours we arrived at the Painted Rocks Petroglyph Site west of Gila Bend.  We were planning to spend the night there, where the BLM has established a campground (no services).  I spent the next two hours or so photographing the petroglyphs, while Rick attempted to set up camp. Here are a few:






Alas, our generator would simply not turn on, so we decided to head on down the road.  

We passed a solar farm, acres of solar panels turning to face the sun.  At sunset, they were faced toward the east, waiting for morning.


 

We spent the night in Dateland, Arizona beneath a glittering dazzle of stars and the sounds of the Interstate and the nearby train tracks for company.  I love the trains.  In fact, as I write this, I can see the train passing about a hundred feet in front of us.  



It is 7 am and the sun is just rising, so I am going to go watch the sunrise, offer some tobacco to the spirits and take some pictures.

It is chilly, around 40 degrees. I found a lizard laying, curled but facing east, to the east of his hole.  Waiting.  Waiting for the sun to rise and strike him to life, as he must do every morning.  


I waited for the sunrise along with my chilly reptilian friend.

At last, our waiting was rewarded.


I walked back to our camp site and a beautiful morning.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment